5.01.2007

tin foil

I want to puke when people write on and on about how cute their spouse is and all the great and wonderful bla bla bla puke vomit bla boring bla. Yesterday I was one of those people and today, again, he is my topic of thought. So go ahead, start the dry heave.

In my family growing up we didn't really use tin foil, we were a saran wrap family. It's easier to see the leftovers that would eventually grow fur and get tossed, completely logical.

Mike's family, apparently, was different.

I worked the late shift at the call center while we were dating. One evening he told me to come over after work and he would have a picnic ready for us to enjoy at the nearby park. I imagined he was going to pick up subs or KFC (this is before celiac diagnosis). Turns out he cooked a hot meal all by himself. I arrived at his home just as he was arranging the food on the plates, complete with stuffed mushrooms on the side. Then out came the tin foil. He ripped off about 30 feet and began wrapping and wrapping and wrapping those plates as if we were going on a rocket ship. Cos tin foil totally belongs on a rocket ship.

After we got married, he must have done some of the grocery shopping as somehow we had tin foil. I was still working the late shift and got home after 9pm. My favorite nights were the ones when I opened the front door and saw him watching t.v. on the couch. Following his suggestion to check the oven, I cracked it open to find my cozy plate of food tucked nicely with 30 feet of tin foil wrapped all around it. Eating dinner was like a mini Christmas, it took me a good 5 minutes to get to the prize.

I smile every time I open the kitchen drawer to get a baggie and grin at the huge roll of tin foil we always seem to have.