4.30.2007

love at home

I don't cry often at sentimental things. I do cry, mostly over frustration or anger or times I can't pull the words into my mind to express my feelings. My tears are mostly jumbled words that melt into salt water and escape out my eyes when I am wishing they could shoot fiery darts.

Today a package was dropped at the front door. I was bummed to see it was addressed to my husband. Ultimately bored, I decided to open it and see what book he ordered himself. I was perplexed when I noticed it was from Deseret Publishers (a church-owned bookstore). He doesn't read churchy books.

I became more confused as I opened the box to see the inside package read Willow Something with the word sculpture. Must have been sent by mistake or a free gift, I even laughed out loud at the thought he would accidentally get a churchy statue. Perhaps a bust of Joseph Smith he could keep on his desk?

I peeled the tape from the styrofoam padding and pulled away packing materials to gaze at the prize. My heart sank into my feet. I held in my hands a hand-carved figure of a mother holding her boy the way I often hold Zane, while looking into his eyes. She even has brown hair and a pony tail. My eyes filled with tears. All I could think was that I am the luckiest mommy/ wife in the world.

It's such a simple image of the present time, where I am in my relationship with my little boy. I am barely able to hold him in my arms anymore due to his weight and my belly. I know in a matter of time he will no longer allow such tender moments. The moments that have truly been my favorite parts of being a mother and often forget. In the whirlwind of To Do lists and decisions to be made in our family, this little sculpture brings it all home: just keep loving and holding on tight to each other. Those are the best parts of life we get to taste no matter where we end up or what we are doing. My heart softens every time I look at it while it reminds me I am doing some of the important things pretty right.

What an amazingly unique gift; I really love it.


p.s. I just hope Mike wasn't planning to mail it to his mom.