4.05.2007

Aunt Liz


If I was boy I think I would totally fall in love with this girl (random photo I found on google). I wish that was me sitting in the tub of Cheetos right now, only I would probably change the red streaks to blue and have about 10 puffs crammed into my mouth. You could call it a craving.

I love that I am an aunt. One of my fondest memories of becoming an aunt was eating Cheetos with my niece, Lindsey. It was her favorite snack at about age 2 and I taught her how to scrape the thick remainder of cheese off her fingers when the bowl became empty. Something only an auntie can teach.
It's funny to hear me referred to as Aunt Liz. I immediately feel inadequate to hold such an honorable title. I imagine with this title I should be a thicker woman with a really cute apron on rushing to assist and spoil. I should have big, curly hair and blue eye shadow on with a permanent smile. Oh, and that red apron has lace on the edges and a little pocket that always has the best butterscotch candies in it to sneak into little hands.
I love to read that one extra story at bedtime before the mom and dad tuck them in. I love to help them sneakily eat their dinners off their plates, to make sure they always get dessert when I am around! I love to be on 'their' side and I hope to exchange secrets the older they get and be the one they talk to on a hard day. Not to replace the parents, of course, but to know that they can come to me for anything and always have my honest, loving opinion with their best interest in mind.
Those bonds are not so strong now because I live so far away from each of them. But someday I will get to see all my adorable nieces and nephews often and teach them card tricks and how to win the student council elections in elementary school, some to skateboard, and how to break up with a pesky boyfriend or girlfriend. And when at an age they can appreciate it, I want to be the Cool Aunt Liz who always gets them awesome shoes for their birthday. Take them to their first concert and lets them borrow my Land Cruiser (you know, cos I will totally have one someday).