4.02.2007

water works

I admit it, I have been hyper sensitive this month over everything and nothing.

1) Watching the movie Father of the Bride as an adult left me a puddle of tears. Somehow watching the phase of life when a beloved child transitions into adulthood/ marriage was such an overwhelming sensation of loss. Like many stages of my son's life, I can't imagine our family getting to that point. Isn't he just going to be 2 forever, jumping off chairs or climbing on my back; always an arm's length away?


2) General Conference always holds some important treasures I need to hear. As Charles W. Dahlquist began to speak, I took note of how quickly he spoke. Initially, I did not find deep interest in the topics or style in which he delivered his messages. His target audience seemed to be our youth and the challenges that face them in this day in age. But then he began to talk about a personal slice of his adolescent life; his teenage routine upon arriving home from dates. He would always knock on his parent's door, open it, and tell them he was home.

Holding back his tears and with a lump in his throat, he spoke of one evening he opened the door to find his mother kneeling at her bed, praying.

He knew who she was praying for. He never forgot that image. I hope there are many moments in my life as a mother that I can set silent examples that words could not replace.