4.20.2007

the joy of embarrassment

This morning I did a fast clean-up of items around the house as the pest control man would be paying us a visit. It's hard to put 'visitor' goggles on when going through rooms normally not visited by others.

The bedroom is especially challenging to straighten up. Bras, undergarments (clean and waiting to be folded on the bed), overflowing wastebasket, etc. I was glad today I did a double-take of the bedroom as I overlooked the beloved book The Joy of Sex laying on the floor next to the bed.

It reminded me of all the times our heat went out while we lived in New York. The same plumber would be in and out all the time to the extent I stopped picking up the main living area. Dirty dishes, piles of unfolded laundry in the living room, unswept floor, scattered mail and packages on the counter- all things I only cared about the first time he came to fix the heat.

I recall one occasion he was in and out a lot, I didn't give a moment's thought about how the home was in disarray. He kept looking at the counter and peering into the open, overflowing box and other items from the mail scattered around it. I thought it odd his eyes were so drawn to my clutter this time around, normally he didn't give anything a second glance except my nursing jugs.

Once he left with the heat finally working I began to see how cluttered our home must have appeared and began to tidy up. You can imagine the shades of red I turned when I realized the package that was open on the counter contained many, many condoms wrapped in foreign packaging along with multiple varieties of lubrication my husband had ordered on-line. The hundreds of creative condoms didn't do it, it was the giant bottle of lub with a freaking PUMP dispenser sticking out the top of it that made me believe this man must have had all sorts of crazy images of what exactly we do behind closed doors and curious of the number of parties involved.

Future plumbing problems resulted in me not being able to look him in the eye, wearing layers upon layers of clothing, and turning Sesame Street on super loud.