5.29.2007

check, check, check


I love that scene in the movie Singles when Steve is buying a pregnancy test kit at the grocery store (with a bunch of other 'filler' items) and the cashier is someone he knew from college. While they chat about old times, items fly down the conveyer belt without notice. Just as he invites his customer friend to a party that night, he looks down to see it is a pregnancy test in his hand running over the red grid of lights. The conversation ends abruptly with awkward exit salutations.
For the most part, I imagine it's got to be a rather dull job to be a cashier. However, to make it fun I would try to figure people out according to the things they buy. My list this week:

soy sauce
super glue
lettuce

I remember going to the store with my mom once as a teenager. We went to get ingredients for dinner; we would be having banana splits- an awesome tradition to do once a year.
The cashier began to scan my step dad's 12 pack of beer, then toppings, and ice cream. As my mom began to write the check, the cashier blurted out as if she was a contestant on a game show solving a puzzle: "Michelob Floats?"