5.26.2007

do it



The summer I turned 16 I had my first true babysitting gig; every weekday from 6am- 5pm. That was the summer was that I discovered the delicious, yet smutty magazine Cosmo. Over a year of issues piled up in a basket next to their couch and that kept me entertained. If you have never read or flipped the pages, I have to tell you it's basically a juicy rated R movie complete with sexy photos and mouth watering language. Reading each issue made me more and more thrilled to get married one day and attack my husband as soon as humanly possible.

I catalogued every exotic position I read about into my mind and promised to remember them and be the most awesome wife/lover ever. According to this magazine, that was all a good marriage needed. Obviously that's not the case, but I do think it's an important part of marital satisfaction. AND according to Dr. Oz, it's very good for your health.

I know it's such a silly magazine to have made an impact on my tender, youthful mind. However, the one article I remember the most still holds a valuable suggestion I am interested in testing out. Several readers followed a challenge issued by a columnist to commit to having sex with their spouse every day for one month. My naive mind didn't realize the impact of such a commitment, I assumed when I got married that would be the routine I would desire to follow anyway, what was the big deal?

Readers wrote in by the dozens with their stories of how it made their relationship stronger and how it became a fun adventure to make time for every single day amid crazy schedules with work and children to tend to. They wrote about exciting new positions they tried, the quickies they snuck in before leaving for work in the morning or taking *showers* together. They found ways to make it work and it brought them closer together emotionally, as well.

I realize I am no Cosmo Magazine, but I want to challenge MY readers to a similar goal.

Choose a week (7 days) to make love to your spouse each day.

It doesn't have to be this month, but put a star on the calendar and commit together to try it a week that makes sense (no travel, fewer late work nights, not surrounding imminent birth or recovery, etc.).

p.s. This might only work if the wife suggests it, so be careful guys- could totally backfire and you might be out of luck for a week entirely.