5.21.2007

dragon flies

Waiting for Mike to check into our hotel in Boston a few years ago, I waited in a cozy lobby chair. I watched as the bellman whisked a giant bouquet of flowers across the floor and up the elevators. I noticed the fine detail of the vase and admired it greatly. I thought of the lucky girl who was about the receive such a lovely and thoughtful gift. I admit I was slightly envious.

Mike greeted me, flowerless, with our room key to assist my pregnant self with the bags and we went to our room. I took a long look at his profile in the elevator and admired him. I reminded myself of the moments he, too, is thoughtful and kind to me. I was also a lucky girl.

When we got to the room that exact bouquet and vase I saw the bellman carry was sitting on the dresser. It was mine. I had watched the act unfold for the lucky girl that would be me.

I know those flowers/ that gesture meant a lot more to me to have seen them from the outside first. This week I am thinking about how each day must be filled with moments and luxuries that would be so much more appreciated if I took some time to see them as an outsider would.