3.01.2007

rattled

Felt another earthquake tonight. This one alarmed us both for a moment as it got stronger at the end. It was very brief and seemed to shake side to side. It was closest to Lafayette and was a 4.2 magnitude. I would have guessed higher as it rattled and made more noise than the other one I felt in December.

Mike was playing a game on the computer, Zane was in his bed waiting for a story to be read, and I was putting his humidifier into the bathroom.

It is an insane feeling I don't think I could ever get used to,
no matter how many people tell me I will.

The moment after it happened I just held Zane in my arms and felt so thankful it wasn't a huge one. Then there was this lingering feeling of helplessness. There is absolutely nothing I can do to protect my family or home if a big one were to happen. And they happen so fast there is nothing I can do to get to my son and protect him in the throws of it, should it be a messy one. That's a freaky feeling that doesn't settle well into my bones.