3.15.2007

ND

I think I was in 4th grade when the teacher initiated the fiasco of pen pals from North Dakota. Even after over a year of exchanging letters, I do not know anything about the boring and unheard-of location.
Her letters were getting more wildly outlandish upon each arrival. One lie after the next, even talk about having sex with boys (?!) and how her boyfriend looked just like Kirk Cameron (sick).

She happened to not have a photo of this intimate romantic partner, but sent a photo of Kirk cut out from a teen magazine.

I thought about not writing her, but that's when the mischievous side of my sister appeared at my side. We trumped her Kirk by sending her a photo of our friend's hot brother (Troy) who lived down the street. We told her that was my boyfriend and conjured up a letter so obviously fake she would realize I was no longer taking her seriously. We laughed all the way down the block as we went to drop it into the mailbox.
I don't think I heard from her again.