12.01.2006

When the Angels Sing

I wish I knew how to roar like a lion, a real lion sounding roar. That is the exhilaration I feel after being a real drummer last night with a few other musicians playing some songs together. Being PART of what you could call a band, if even for an evening, and rocking out. I thought I loved music, I thought it was a pretty awesome thing. To listen and bob my head and maybe tap a toe. BUT TO PLAY IT IN TIME WITH OTHER PEOPLE PLAYING IN TIME and to have all three of us at the end of Three Imaginary Boys by the Cure looking at each other with smiles and agree that sounded and FELT good. I imagine that might be the feeling my husband feels after running a marathon, albeit he puts a lot more time into his prep than I do my songs. It felt the way it does to see a pack of cyclists riding in perfect unison. Like we were the components in the back of a watch making it tick. I love being part of a collective group making music with my arms and feet far beyond just listening to music. I love it the way I loved my husband a million times more after going to the temple, just when I didn't think I could have more room in my heart to love.

The practice room was rented on the east side of Oakland's industrial section. It was one of many practice rooms about the size of a master bedroom. Purple carpet lined the floor and walls. Several wacky couches filled spaces along walls. My favorite one was red, but the most useful was the peach as I needed to steal one of it's cushions to sit on as my throne sucks and that New Order song had a really fast beat; comfort and extra bum support were essential.

Across the hall was a mega heavy metal screaming band that made my arms sore to think of the poor drummer keeping up with them. Down the hall I saw a ska band that set up in their own room as I arrived. I liked the personal touch of the little rude boy hats. They didn't sound so bad. As for us and our sound, they are definitely better than I am at my instrument, but not by too great of a margin that I was intimidated. I was weak on the Social Distortion song, but when the singer/ bassist revealed he hated to sing it I sighed a deep relief. I didn't know it as well as I wanted to, but it is a lot of fun to play due to the constant crashing of the ride symbol. I enjoyed beating the hell out of my drums so I could be heard over the amps and officially feel the timid me has been left behind.

I have been invited back to play with these two guys again next week.

Have I found my band? Time will tell...