11.30.2006

sweet words


Zane and I went to visit a dear, lovely older lady today we know from church. Each time we visit, we hear touching stories about how she met her husband, high school and college memories, and about her children/ grandchildren whom live in other states.

She and her husband are healthy and active. They travel and go to The Opera. He refers to her as darling and they always greet us with a warm welcome. I look for opportunity to offer charitable service or assistance, but they insist they are blessed beyond necessary; no help is needed.

Today as we said our goodbyes her final sentiments gave me pause. She took a deep breath and with tears filling her happy eyes she told me about her love for her endearing husband. Of the wonderful years they have had together and the adventures they have had with every move. That every single place they have lived there have been wonderful experiences.

I want that. I want to stand with a friend in 30-40 years from now and shed tears of joy for the years I have spent with my husband. I took the chance of asking her for any advice she had to offer for us as a young family. Of all things she simply said: "Just support each other". She went on to explain that of all the moves they had she always supported his career advancement. And never wanted him to miss out on an open door of opportunity. Unless it would cause great pain for the family, in which case it never did.

She has no idea how timely this advice is for me. How much I needed to hear those words. How much I look up to her and admire her deep love and supportive heart.

Like many relationships I have, once again I am gaining much more in relation to what I offer as a friend.