11.20.2006

dust mites

Today has been a day of deep cleaning my home. To thoroughly deep clean it requires looking at the house through a new lens. Like an outsider. Thinking: what would my sister say if she walked in and saw the dust on those blinds?! The process requires looking at rooms that have bothered me for months, but ignoring the bother. Taking the time to rearrange things and rid the annoyance of ignore. Settling into a change of space that will make it more comfortable and livable. Quite a task that will carry me long into the night, likely multiple days.

While spending the day mostly in isolation from the outside world, I got a much welcomed phone call from someone I have not talked to in a long time.

She is also doing some deep cleaning today, but of her soul. A similar process, I think, to my household deep cleaning. Looking at her 'house' and deciding how it should look and feel. If anything needs to be rearranged. Figuring out what those details are that need to be scrubbed.

I wish I could roll up my sleeves and help her. But it's not my house and I don't live in it to know what the subtle annoyances are. I am too distant from it to give insight into the right or wrong decisions that need to be made. Of what needs to change or stay the same. I only know I love her and that I have confidence that it's important enough that she will make whatever decision is right for her inside and out. It is a lonely feeling to make big decisions, the older we get the heavier impact they have on our lives (and others around us).

The only offering I had was that at times I have felt the best about the end results were the times I took it to The Lord.