11.28.2006

it's official, I'm a stalker

I admit it, I am stalker-ish. But really, if I have an idea that I think is a really good one that would really work out well on several levels, I go for it.

So DHC, I recently wrote about them. The band is right up there in ranking under The Cure. Their stickers grace my first snowboard. That is big-time band love right there. Knowing their drummer worked at the comic book store and knowing he probably still has connections there I called with a proposal of sorts.

The helpful guy who talked with me for so long about comics actually answered the phone. He remembered who I was and humored me while I suggested how great it would be for me to take drumming lessons from Gavin. (important- NOT because he is attractive, because honestly he is not attractive to me. BUT because he is a killer drummer and contributes greatly to sounds that inspire me year after year).

The worker bee agreed to give him my message and email address regarding lessons. I made sure to note I was MARRIED WITH A KID and that I am not trying to be a stalker. Even though this is SO stalker-ish behavior.

So, we shall see if he emails. He could email and turn out to be a total @$$hole upon actual lesson efforts (I try to only swear on my blog once a week and only when highly necessary).

My current situation isn't so great with my drumming instructor. He has good chops and awesome credentials with successful electronica groups, however, we just don't seem to jive. Conversation is forced and his passion is jazz. I travel 45 minutes one way to get to the rehearsal space and he always goes over the scheduled time. Usually this would be a great thing, but the time is often filled with the history of JAZZ drumming or something else I honestly don't care much about.
I can't say I have not learned from him, however, the time away from my family (3+ hours) isn't worth the 30- 45 minutes of actual value that comes out of it.

So crossing my fingers, Gavin or not, that something else will work out. Ideally someone closer to my home, not on the sex offender list, and a rockin' teacher.