12.04.2006

Raquel Called

When I was completing High School, there were very few things I was sure of. One was that I knew I would be going to college. The second, I knew I would need roommates. And third, I knew that living with all girls was not going to work for me.

My first Three's Company situation went relatively well. Paul and Jaime were a few years older and had good jobs. I knew them from working at a restaurant, although I was working at the bank the time I moved in. We were all busy and we had our own rooms. A month into it I discovered somehow Paul and Jaime has distain for each other. I still don't know how it began, I just knew I was in the middle of it. And since I was upstairs on the 'girls' floor he assumed we stayed up late and talked about how much we hated him. So he avoided us both and we essentially had the place to ourselves.


He decided out of the blue he had to leave college and move to NY with nothing but a duffel bag of clothing and began selling everything else he owned. While I admired his adventurous side and good taste in music, I had some re-collecting of my CDs to handle while he was at work one day. Jaime had to find her sign language video he borrowed years ago. We held our breath and went in. His room was a disaster and his bathroom had mold growing on the ceiling. They had to remove and replace the toilet because it was so gross and dirty once he left. We didn't know what we would find looking for our belongings, we just knew we had to be quick and careful. I found my CDs, they were melted to a plastic holder he had left baking for months in his car. I peeled them off and assisted Jaime with her search. We couldn't find her tape anywhere. Then we both looked at the VCR, then at each other, not saying a word. She pushed EJECT. Slowly a movie emerged from the VRC: Raquel in the Wild.
I think we screamed and did the jittery-skieved-out dance and ran upstairs to the girls section of the home and scrubbed our hands clean. She determined her video was no longer important. But we sure got a kick out of leaving messages on the white board in the kitchen for the remaining months he lived with us.

Have a great day!
love, Raquel

We disbanded as a group and then it was Kiley (the Jack of the group if you will) and Candice. Candice worked with me at the bank, but called in sick a lot so I took a chance with her. Kiley answered an ad we put on the college roommate section of a community message board. He ended up being the big risk. He didn't go to school after all, hopped from job to job, and drank a lot. I think he would have been the perfect neighbor, not roommate. We had fun going to concerts and hearing about his crazy girlfriends. However, one night he passed out in the living room, left the front door and fridge wide open AND ate the rest of the enchiladas. I had enough. We kicked him out that month.

Then Sean moved in, another winner from the school community board. He played the song Plush by Stone Temple Pilots too many times each day with his acoustic guitar. I think it was the only song he knew how to play. I didn't like that song to begin with, so you can imagine my feelings of love and adornment for him as time went on. The only duty we asked when he moved in was to be in charge of taking the garbage out. He did it too few times until I started putting it into his room. He and Candice fell in love and got freaky all the time. I was happy when they went their separate living ways far away from me and my bedroom walls.

That's when I decided to give the all girls living situation a shot. The Christian girl getting married to the wedding singer and the brunette bombshell with the best and longest legs you have ever seen (Mike you aren't allowed to comment on this post, thanks). Men would literally compliment her on her legs whenever we were in public. She wasn't my favorite friend to attend the beach with.
Legs moved out to live with her sister and a little nut job with a perm moved in. She had the boyfriend that was out on parole, not yet divorced, and 12 years her senior. She was a nursing student and had an unhealthy obsession with South Park. Things got ugly with her, there was screaming, drama, harsh words exchanged, and tears. All the madness was abruptly ended as I escaped to my wedding with my eternal roommate.

All of this is to say how incredibly easy it is to live with my husband and son. Probably because I am the drama queen and there is no room for anyone else to be difficult.

It is also to say that I don't honestly know how to reply when the guys in this band email me an mp3 to learn Plush. It's going to be like drinking razor blades and mouthwash for me to play it.