3.17.2009

vid



At the Bally's in California there was a poster on the wall of a very fit, healthy looking woman in work out clothing. The picture of her was flattering, she was doing a kick towards the lens of the camera and her balance and positioning of the rest of her body looked strong. Like the way my sensei would stand when demonstrating kicks in my college Ju Jitsu class. In the photo-turned-poster she wore a pair of shorts that were of the variety most of us would not look so great in. I was struck by how much motivation I gathered as I looked at this poster during my time at the gym. And while genetics play a great deal in the way our bodies are shaped, it is still my job to be healthy and exercise regardless of the genes I have and how closely I am able to (or not able to) realistically resemble the person in that picture. She was not my goal, looking like her was not my dream. But feeling the way I know I feel when I am at my optimal exercise routine, filling my physical potential with wellness, that was the feeling the poster translated to me.
Some might have found it offensive. The shorts were short, her shoulders were barren, and much of her long, fit legs were revealed. At times I worry I might be the wrong kind of Mormon mother to not instantly compute vulgarity from the image. But I don't really worry much about that for very long, which causes me another round of worry. And then I go to the gym and decide to forget all about it and carry on with something productive.
So this video for the song Lie by Black Light Burns came on today at the gym in Arizona. And again, a woman appears (two actually) in clothing less than modest. And my instant and honest reaction was how awesome their cute little undies are in this video. And how cute a healthy and fit little bum bum looks in something like that. And wouldn't an outfit like that be a nice way to welcome My Mister home after a long week apart as the children slumber in their beds? Is something wrong with me? Is it normal to draw inspiration and motivation from images most other Mormon women might consider offensive? These are rhetorical questions, btw.
Don't get me wrong, I don't wish to fill my boys' heads (or future girl) with the perfect image of what the world thinks the perfect shape of a woman should be. I would not display these images in my home as a signal of priority over the obvious priorities we strive for as a family. But I do think it is important to take good care of one's body and to be a prime example to my children as much as possible. I have work to do in this area at my dinner table with the food I provide them. In addition to a regular exercise routine. I also love to see moms at the park running around with their kids playing football with them in the grass (those that no longer have toddlers still in need of constant watch). I want to be that mom, the one that is out there running and playing with them.
And hey the times I have been happiest with my fitness level had little to do with outward image I got as a result and entirely more to do with inward energy and thorough joy. Which leads to even better bedroom 'aerobics', overall better mental health and abundant patience available to my family. Getting a tiny, frilly pair of undies to wear behind closed doors for Mike with some hopeful tight buns peeking from the bottom of them is just a perk in the deal that might add some additional motivation to the already-important- for-a-million-reasons topic. That's all I'm sayin. Enjoy the video linked above. It's not for the easily offended at heart. And p.s. I mostly thought of Mike because of the cheeks I aspire for in addition to the sound of this band I thought he would really like. They remind him of Stabbing Westward.
(sounds like: The Cure, Queens of the Stoneage, Nitzer Ebb, PJ Harvey, NIN, Ministry, Bauhaus, Fiona Apple, Limp Bizkit, From First To Last, Skinny Puppy, The Strokes, Interpol, Massive Attack, Peter Murphy, Portishead, Tool, Aphex Twin, The Police, Radiohead, Concrete Blonde, Duran Duran, etc.)