2.22.2007

once bitten and twice shy

A family we knew in NY has annual Christmas parties, we were lucky enough to be invited one year. Either they didn't have one the following year, or we didn't get invited back. I am pretty sure that would be my fault.

So the year we went it was like a variety show. People read funny pieces of literature, sang songs, performed skits, all sorts of hilariousness and true talented performers. Yummy appetizers and baked treats everywhere you looked along with superb holiday decor. The mood was supreme and I enjoyed the mixture of the crowd.

Then I was my usual self, thinking an idea was a lot funnier in my head than it actually was in real life. It was my turn to work the crowd. Still shedding my pregnancy weight, I tugged my only fancy sweater that fit over my belly to an unwrinkled position and headed to the front of too many faces. On my way up I grabbed a drummer who might assist with my humiliation.

I began with a serious tone, telling them about the wonderful Christmas memories that come to mind in December. How this special song in my heart was always near and dear to my sister and I as we grew up together over the years. I had dramatic pauses and elaborate hand gestures for effect. As I passed out the lyrics I begged everyone to assist in the singing (not a talent I have). The song was Last Christmas by WHAM!


I got a decent chuckle from the group when announcing the song, but it went down hill from there. Apparently no one (including me) had any idea how to carry the tune. Into the third verse someone saved me and suggested we move on to the next act. I am pretty sure the whole ordeal ranks up there as one of my more embarrassing moments.

This weekend there is a ward party with a karaoke machine. My family should thank their lucky stars Last Christmas is not available on the song list.

I had to check. Someday I just might have to redeem myself.