2.06.2007

2.06.07 a good day

Today has been a truly calm and peaceful day. I began the day with a plan and a determination to handle things well. To listen more carefully to the words my son would say. To respond with kindness and patience. To walk away from the computer to play cars. To listen to my heart and think about other people in my life. To connect with my son and not allow myself to unfold along with the waves that would carry me through the day's events. To be stronger than the current and keep track of my list of things to do, but not worry about the items that get moved to tomorrow's box on the calendar.

I laughed with son about silly noises, funny faces, and goofy gestures. We took turns dancing and clapping for one another, making sure to remind the other to bow at the end of each 30 second performance. I taught him how to cut bananas for smoothies instead of brushing him out of the way, resisting the assumption he would only get into trouble.

I made dinner for my family without complaining even though none of the ingredients sounded tasty in my mind.

I followed a prompting to visit someone having a hard time this year. Someone who may or may not have needed my visit. Someone who knew I was having a hard time when I moved here and took time out of her busy day to bring me the simplest thing: A loaf of fresh bread from a nearby bakery.

Every bite of that bread made me feel more comfortable and happy about living in a new place, still learning to make friends. To remember that she thought of me that day and went out of her way with a gesture of thoughtfulness teared me up with gratitude this afternoon. It reminded me to act on the impressions I have in the moment, to not allow them to pass. To make that phone call when I am thinking about someone, to not put it off. To not let the uncertainty of how a simple gesture will be received paralyze me. To know that doing nothing will never be the right choice.

Today I gave a loaf of bread.
The memory of getting my own loaf was incredibly rewarding to reflect upon.