6.08.2006

new girl in town

I have been a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints since November 1998. I have found much strength, joy, guidance and blessings from my faith.

I have also become part of an amazing world-wide networking system!

Each time we have moved (6 times in 7 years) we have found a gaggle of Mormon strangers to meet us on our doorstep to assist with unloading the moving truck.

With each move I am grateful and touched by the generosity of people who do not even know us, yet provide comfort and support.

With this move I had someone (hi, Karen!) accept my car before I came, provide dinner for me and my son that evening and invite my whole family to dinner the following week.

This was followed by a ladies party last night, a craft get-together tonight, a play day at the park tomorrow morning and a few other events on the calendar for the following weeks. My calendar is filling and it’s only 2 weeks into the ordeal!

*

With each move I also get the ever evasive question:

“Do you scrapbook?” with eager heads turned, waiting for my response.

It’s like that moment in teen movies when the party goes silent and the record scratches to a stop.

“No, I do not scrapbook”.

Usually there is either an awkward silence or someone else changes the subject quickly as if there was a major party foul.

I decided from now on I am going to respond with one of the following:

1) “More importantly, do you listen to indie rock?”

2) “Where did you say you got that big bow in your hair from? I really love it!”

3) “Oh, only when I can fit it into my tight schedule of PRO SKATEBOARDING. You skate, don’t you?”

4) “Sorry, I am a drummer and it’s against my band’s code of ethics.”

5) Liz, time to get over your lack of crafty insecurities and let the conversation ride.
Mormon moms are always a good bunch to spend time with because they are also trying to be more like Christ and raise their kids right. Especially the Scrapbookers.