6.12.2006

light in the foyer

I wonder how I will know when I am feeling a small earthquake. Last night I thought for sure I did around 2am, but it turns out the neighbor has a motorcycle he likes to rev up for a long time in the garage before he peels out.

Today I spoke with my friend, Debra, who grew up in CA and incidentally lived in this exact home right before we moved in. She advised me that you will know an earthquake is happening when the light in the foyer sways. And yes, it swayed several times when she lived here. Then she said the sideways ones are not a big deal, but the up and down ones break everything.

Some nights I fall asleep quickly and peacefully. Other nights I lay awake waiting for the earthquake to shake it up (oo-oo). I imagine how fast I can run down the hallway, one flight of stairs, and down another hallway to get to my baby and protect him. If I ever have to execute my manic dash in an earthquake I will really be wishing we had looked into that Family Bed method, afterall.