6.29.2006

audition update

so i found hayward, ca without a hitch. they practice in an empty space that used to be a bank.

Bass: he looked like Cameron from Ferris Bueller's Day Off and had similar mannerisms. He was so nice and the main contact during this whole operation. He pulled up in an sweet audi.

Singer: he strolled in late. he had a warm smile and overgrown, droopy curls in his hair. He is from Poland.

Guitarist and studio-in-his-house guy: he is like a matthew sweet, grown-out hair guy. He doesn't like to make eye contact much and his whole life is music. making it, recording it, perfecting sounds, etc.

***

Setting up my kit went smoothly. They arranged themselves so they would be facing me while we played the songs. This did not intimidate me as much as it should have. i had nervous tingles in my fingers and arms like the feeling of waiting to perform on a stage. it was a happy, exciting energy listening to the lead guitar heading into song #1. I enter both songs perfectly on beat and maintain a pretty steady rhythm throughout. this was my goal. I did, however, drop a stick here and there when I would relax too much and try to look around, away from my cheat sheet. I honestly don't know if they noticed cos they were all focused on their own thing and it was pretty noisy. I didn't feel too worried about it. The singer struggled hitting his notes and the guitar and bass had some slip-ups (I only know because they said so). I rocked song #2 all over the place! We played both a few times and some misc. sounds as well.

They played a click track and that helped me to stay on beat, it was like my water wings. This took a lot of the pressure off. they planned to do this before I came, so I can't say it was an indication of my playing.

I feel I delivered what a week's worth of my hard work can present. it felt good. like driving a car. my hands and feet knew just what to do.

We talked a lot and laughed some after playing songs. It felt comfortable, like I had known these guys for a while. It appears as though they are looking to record their drummer into already-recorded songs and play live gigs every month. I think if they were patient with me and willing to take a chance, I could be that drummer.

While driving home, I had a peaceful feeling of accomplishment. I set out to take a risk and try something new and I did it. I was scared and nervous and unsure of myself, but I did it. And that feels good.

I don't think I am the puzzle piece to their open spot and that's feeling more alright than I though it would. Their astonsihment of me only having 4 months under my belt was reward enough for me.