8.11.2007

you can't have too many lines

Listening to music really gets my mind spinning and inspires my desire to write. If I listened to music more often my fingers wouldn't be able to keep up with the words I would want to type. Good thing I have a life, a family, and other things to do- ay?

I dusted off an old cd, The Beautiful South, recently and forgot how much I love it. How each songs takes me to a different place, soaring through various paths in my mind. Taking me by the hand and allowing me to wander aimlessly. The song that always gets a few extra notches to the right of the volume dial is Prettiest Eyes.

It's the kind of song I think anyone can relate to. He sings about remembering specific moments with someone over years of a relationship. Some memories more profound (and then we cried), while others are like little nuggets of detail the other person might not even remember (I could hear the faintest beat of your heart).

Today it got me thinking about what my own Prettiest Eyes song would be like. We all have them, former romances that were building blocks for our hearts to eventually land us with our lover for life. The one that is the best fit for us and won the grand prize: The Hand in Marriage. The past people totally needed to exist in my journey so I could realize how valuable this (ultimately eternal) mate is and to hold on tight and win him over! And although the others couldn't hold a candle to my Valentine for Life, there are still memories of my younger years that are glitter on the pages of my internal scrapbook. And I think it's okay to keep the book on the shelf in a closet, it just doesn't belong on the coffee table.

The past people, be them friends or X's, were an important part of my life at one time and are not thought of so often. But they are still part of the memory that's enjoyable to visit once in a while. The way a stray, crusty old leaf tumbles across your path. It makes you smile for a split-second and remember the season is changing. But it doesn't trip you up or even break your stride. Makes you take a look around and appreciate the leaves yet to fall. The memories in the making and still to come in your present life.

I think of the silly things I remember about people or experiences and wonder if that same moment left an imprint with the other person, too. Or if I am altogether long forgotten.

And then the song is over and I am bringing my Target bags into the house and it doesn't matter. And that makes me smile even bigger for a lot longer than a split-second.