8.21.2007

fuzzy


I need some warm fuzzies today, so I thought I would spend a moment highlighting some recent happy moments.

1) For my birthday present this year I told my husband I want 24 hours to myself outside of the house where I would not be in charge of making or cleaning food for anyone else. I wanted to have 24 hours of no responsibility. Nothingness. I didn't care if it was a 24 hour round-trip train ride or solitude confinement. I just wanted a calm before my pending storm of changing life. We worked together on a plan and landed with my sister and I in an awesome hotel in Union Sqaure in San Francisco. I would recommend such a break for everyone.
My sister flew out to take my mommy break with me in July. We slept in, shopped, ate food prepared by the hands of other people, and tended to ZERO children. Not only was it an awesome break, but we got to have uninterrupted sister time to laugh and talk in ways we have not had the opportunity to do in years.
2) My friends. They rock. They took me out for a yummy Thai dinner and delicious diner dessert to celebrate my unborn baby. We laughed the night away and shared stories about everything. I got a special arrangement of bright flowers and a generous gift certificate to H&M. None was expected or necessary, so it all made me feel so loved and supported. I love that I don't believe any of them shop at H&M, but they knew me well enough to know that's where I like to get my baby clothes and even suggested that I splurge on myself after I have the baby. It feels good to have friends to laugh with, that know me, and are thinking about me. I hope I am just as good of a friend to each of them; and to my far away friends as well.

3) Two friends I rarely talk to called me to check in. My friend Debra in FL and my older neighbor across the street (who was a bit nuts about my lemons earlier this year, but I forgive). It just felt so good to be thought of randomly when I least expected a call. On both conversations we shared stories and laughed and just checked in with each others' lives. I need to initiate those kinds of calls myself more often.

I don't know why, but waiting to give birth has been such a lonely feeling lately. I guess because no one else can do it for me or really tell me exactly how it's going to go. It's nice to remind myself lots of people do this, hey we all got here by being birthed! It's no big deal, right? Then why am I so scared.