6.18.2007

Rule of 85%

When I was once learning about Time Management during college and work days, a wise manager told me to only schedule 85% of my day as there will always be things that come up I will not be able to plan for.

I did not take that advice today. I scheduled every single hour of the day. That made for a crabby, non-flexible mommy. And a little boy who had a crap day.

I did get the bulk of the things on my list done within the timetables I planned, but reflecting back I would have changed things first thing this morning and scheduled less.

I'm enjoying the gift of hindsight. It will make tomorrow's decisions and attitudes a lot better.

+++

I also remember working with a dysfunctional team to identify ways they could be more cohesive. One of the questions designed in the Team Evaluation Process asked what the team did for fun. I thought it was an odd question until I found no one on the team had an answer for that question. I also realized the more successful teams in the company knew one another pretty well and got together for lunches or something other than work on a regular basis.

Some weeks I look at the calendar and ask myself what I scheduled with my family (and son) for fun. Those things are as important as the mundane errands and meals I never forget to plan and execute.

Tomorrow's priority will be fun; I will build a schedule that allows for it.