6.20.2007

girls girls girls

Brooke made my day a while ago and nominated me for a thinking blog award. Part of that nomination requested that I post blogs that make me think. I will get to the list, hang on until the end of the post.....

Improving is one of the things in my life that inspires me. I have been thinking about my character lately and what I want to work on to be a better me. Part of that process includes remembering past weaknesses I have worked on so I can celebrate how far I have come.

5 or so years ago I had a really hard time making and keeping girl friends. It took me time to realize why this was so. It also took me time to realize I like having friends, so I needed to change.

I used to think I had to be good at everything, but more importantly....the best. If someone was really good at something- I dunno- say knitting, I didn't think we could be friends if it was a skill I lacked. And I would be jealous I did not posess that talent and find things about her that were imperfect, giving off negative vibes left and right. I was too uncomfortable with who I was to truly celebrate the talents and embrace the beauty of what makes the other person who she was. I was unaware of my own talents and thought they had to match/ surpass those of everyone else I met to be worthy of friendship. It was a lonely and unhappy way of thinking.

I decided to stop looking at my deficiencies compared to others. I ended the comparing, taking notes, and feeling low. I started really evaluating who I was, what I liked to do, and what I was good at. I learned to be comfortable with these gifts I was blessed with, even if they might not be the norm or what other people would desire. I started to realize they are gifts that might not put me on a stage and earn lots of money, but might be gifts that help other people. They make me who I am and they were given to me for special purposes in my life unique to me and my path. And it might not be a super long list, but they are solid items I can be happy about while also striving to develope others. It makes it okay to be not as good at certain things, and even okay if someone else is better.

Once I knew this about myself, I started seeing other people with clear vision. I was so happy to meet someone who was an expert at something I would never think of trying to do. I genuinely started to enjoy every little detail I would learn about what ingredients made up the people I would meet. I loved how different my new friends were and got to learn from them, appreciate their skills, and just love them.

So...as many of them have started to blog, I get to see their personalities and talents unfold unto the public. I am proud to know each of them and their personal buckets of blessings they were born with and developed in their lives. They are all so unique, awesome and beautiful and still get to inspire me at a distance with their blogs. I am so glad I was the better me when I bumped into them so I could appreciate them.


Lindsey She really should have a cooking show, cook books, and a cafe to share her mad cooking/ baking skillz. Her photographs and awesome writing voice would add much to her success.

Kristy I don't think there is a friend I laugh more with. Oh and the jewelry the girl can make...

Gabby Innovative and creative beyond imaginable combines with specific and unique style.

Adriana Amazing writer, deep thinker. As for cooking, Mike is still talking about a meal she made (fish stir fry) 5 years ago.

Liz M So fair, will never let conversation turn to gossip and always has fun mommy tips. Oh yeah, the bargain hunter- the girl really does love a good deal.

Laura F Always so positive and a total babe! She so inspires me to work harder at being fit. So stoked for her new, very own business.

Erin S She is always so calm and another great one at cooking/ baking. I love how involved she is in music and aspiring to make a family band. If a human could be a mermaid it would be her.

Laura B Thoroughly dove into parenthood with a giant love for teaching her kids and loving it. I enjoy following her preschool site to help me with ideas for Zane.

Sara Hilarious! Such a way with words, getting to know her better through her blog has been entertaining.

Lisa Her passion for fitness and athleticism reminds me of that piece of me I ignore sometimes. Love her flare for music and zest for travel.

Jenni When she arrives at a party, everyone greets her and whatever she brought equally. Everything she touches related to food turns to edible gold. She has a way for handling things well and reminds me of Snow White. I survived Mike's MBA and a new baby because of her advice/ example (she did it with more kids).

Joanie So bright and funny and real. I love how conversations take different turns and how she sees things from a different angle.

Erin W Someone once called her 'such a cherub' and I can't summarize her any better. Such a spiritual light, but also wildy sarcastic.

Audrey Funny and sociable, no way it's going to be an awkward gathering if Audrey is there! Another great cook, I still have tons of recipes from her I am intimidated to make.

Kathryn I wrote a whole post about this lovely friend here; so genuine and generous.

Denise She said once in comments she would be a great pioneer woman. It is so true, I love that she knows that about herself. She would do anything for anyone.

Amanda The singing voice of a magical bird, her children are so lucky to have her lullabies.

Tania You know she has thoroughly researched something when she makes a decision, so you can skip that process and call her for advice on anything under the sun.

Alysha I stopped wondering where all these different outfits were coming from and quickly learned she was WAY ahead of the fashion trends, over it, and on to the next before I even knew what was going on. I really think she should be a celebrity stylist.