6.25.2007

"Did we have peaches for breakfast?"

I have a master list of things to do before #2 shoots into our lives. Set up the crib, wash baby clothing, get diapers, tour the hospital, etc. I did not expect to cover one of those items at 3am this morning.

6 contractions within an hour and off I go to see the maternity ward in my new town's hospital. They are not painful and I hear it is a common experience, so I am only partially worried. I check myself in and get wheeled to the proper floor. That feeling of uncertainty turns my face flush as I roll down sterile hallways that echo squeaky shoes from a sweet nurse pushing me along.

I get a magnificent room, a delivery room, and put on that little gown that was so familiar and about 3 years ago. This brings back a lot of memories of a process that isn't the most comfortable of experiences. I am sure this is not that day, but it is closer than I care to think about. My stomach flips and I take a deep breath.

Situated in the bed with wires and monitors and a thin sheet, I wish for my bed. I want to be back at home nestled in my blanket, touching feet with my husband just as our toddler sneaks in next to me at 5am.

They catch a few small contractions over the period of about 3 hours on their graphs and send me on my way. A long morning with no sleep and no answers, just a routine part of the Mommy Pregnancy Game. My chips are different this time and I don't remember how to play, so I will just drink more water and keep bluffing. Pretending to know how it's all going to go down, trying to remember all the rules I memorized last time around.

I get back into my own bed and have a sense of calm that my womb is still a safe place. After My Hero feeds our Piranha breakfast so I can rest, I hear little feet stomp back into the room. The door flies open like a hurricane bursting through. I hear him whisper "tip toe, tip toe, tip toe". He butts my head climbing into bed, such a bull in a china shop. The cold, peach pulp remains on his cheek press against my forehead. I smile at the whiff of fresh summer fruit his breath expels. His sticky hands pull up the covers and we snuggle close.

All my boys are safe today, they are all here and well.