6.07.2007

Berkeley

So we choose the Telegraph exit off the 24 and fumble right into a Buffalo Exchange. We continue on and see a girl with long dreadlocks riding a bike with a basket on the front. She passes a Whole Foods that tries to mask itself as a less commercial hub with trees covering the sign and rainbow murals painted on the windows. Not like the starchy one in my 'burbs filled with high-end SUVs.

The run-down shops rub shoulders with the trendy ones. Homeless loitering, crazies pacing with cigarettes, hippies smiling, normals walking, college kids talking, and us. It's a nice mixture of nothing you could put your finger on. It reminds me of a cross between my old college town in Tempe, AZ (before Hooters, etc. moved in) and Park Slope, Brooklyn (minus the yuppies and light on the lesbians). The place has character and a lot of restaurants you probably could not find anywhere else (but Chipotle, which is forgivable). I will probably skip Fat Slice next time and try something better.

I move the car as DHC spins into the air and out my open window; one of the replacement CDs I just bought at Amoeba. Funny, this band began on these very streets. I always wondered what the scene was like when Tim Armstrong approached Elyse, sitting on a curb outside of campus, and asked her if she could sing. She would sing in this band he would put together, but not be part of. I was parking among such curbs. An ironic moment that makes me smile. Fair trade for never going to CBGB's before it closed down.

Another Amoeba and a pause in Rasputin, essential pit stops on our path. 'Is there a Cocteau Twins fan in the house?' a dull voice spews into the intercom as I pass the LPs. Another bright stitch woven into a feeling of community I sense in corners of every shop and nestled in each crack of the sidewalk. I want to park the stroller in a corner and start to knit a scarf, I just know someone would bring be a cup of warm tea. But I would prefer brownies because! of! the! sciatica!

Then there is the campus at the end of the street. It is like walking on coveted territory. I feel more intelligent just taking space on the perfect rows of brick while passing grand, unique buildings. It makes me wish I had not leaned on such a typical, easy college plan for myself.

Of the many sites explored this week with visitor #1 of many for the summer, this was my favorite day. As for those sea otters and Pier 39, although a necessary stop for the first-time visitor, I might have to bring forks to stab my eyes out upon each repeat trip. It's the new Empire State Building in my life.