1.25.2007

little drummer girl

Jason and Nigel. These are the saints whom agree to allow me to try and play songs with them each week with my good-for-a-newbie drum kit. They invited me back after the first night playing at the rehearsal space and it has gone swimmingly every since. Until I went out of town and bruised my ribs coughing, so I have held them up for a few weeks. I wonder slightly if the idea of a new drummer has crossed their minds.

They are patient and easy going fellows, I truly enjoy their company. I am in debt with gratitude for their musical guidance and the comfort I have screwing up songs only to get a cheer from all three of us once I finally get it right. Jazzed about the gift of encouraging words as I fumble around trying to figure out how to be part of a three piece band.

I know there will be a day I will play live. It may not be imminent. Not just because I would look ridiculous with a giant belly, but I don't think the following several months will allow my body the fire and energy in me to get to where I want to be to proudly perform in public. I also do not know if we are a group of musicians that can collectively create original music others need to hear.

I am realizing the importance of having similar interest in music genre. When we play the New Order song Jason comes to life like a shooting star. It is visible, his love for music and his guitar. The same goes for Nigel when we play the Social D song. Of the songs we know or plan to play, none seem to hit that chord with all of us equally. I keep hoping I will email that one perfect song (unwritten law perhaps?! please.) and they will go nuts with excitement, it will be that one common-interest-link of sound for us to follow and work from.

I have been thinking of what my staple sounds are that really make me want to be a certain kind of drummer, who my heroes are and connecting those dots. When I find other people who have that same alignment I think it will be...I dunno...nothing comes to mind but perfect. But that word somehow takes away the momentum of what I am trying to say.

Learning to be in a band with these guys is what I was looking for and what I need for my level of skill in the now. I don't think we have the combined potential to be dazzling, but dazzling comes later. Much later.

After the sleepless nights of nursing the next kid are faded memories.
There was an error in this gadget