10.18.2006

more fragments

I like to keep my husband informed on how the day progresses. In great detail. I do it to make sure he doesn't feel left out.

He always listens patiently to every. last. detail. Even if it's 11pm and he worked a 15 hour work day, he listens. He comments. Sometimes asks questions (which friends did you get to talk to today/ how is she?). I go on and on about the decisions I made and how it's really become a good day in the end. So here is my summary, for Mike. Because he was tied up in presentations and meetings today and I know it's killing him that he never got to hear about my lunch.

Decisions Made Today

1) Which channel to select for Zane's morning t.v. time (Noggin or PBS)
2) What to make him for breakfast (eggs and toast or cereal with fruit)
3) How to spend the time between 8:30 and 10 (gym or run errands)
4) Who I want to sit near at singing time (friends or people I don't know)
5) At what point Zane has had too much of singing time and we need to leave (while he runs aimlessly or whines)
6) What to do for lunch (BK or McDonald's)
7) What number to order myself from the BK menu (chicken or beef)
8) Which park to take Zane to
9) How long to stay at park/ which moms to chat with
10) If Zane should be playing with other kids' trucks or not
11) When to change the stinky diaper (now or in 3 minutes)
12) Which halloween costume to select for Zane (cowboy or dragon slayer)
13) Number of glow sticks to buy
14) If I should I spend a lot of money to decorate the house all spooky
15) How long to drive in the car so Zane will fall asleep
16) If I should go to Target and spend more money
(decisions on Target List were made yesterday)
17) What I should clean on my weekly list (bathrooms or vacuum)
18) What to make for dinner (veggie pizza or leftovers)
19) What to blog about
10) Who to call back and when
11) The time I should roll the trash cans out to the curb
12) Determine multiple times
a) When 'time out'/ an apology/ or cleaning up own mess is necessary for Zane
b)What guided play to do with Zane (legos/ read books/ color/ or play chase)
14) What I should do tomorrow
15) What to plan for preschool around the letter C
16) The time I allow my eyes to close for sleep

I know he hangs up the phone and smiles because he loves me. And because his day involved a lot of different types of decisions with other adults and business knowledge, problem solving, technical detail, social grace, and bureaucratic awareness. Additionally, the pressure to do it all correctly so he can support the family. And so I can buy treats.

Some days it really is
the best kept secret
to be a housewife.