5.07.2006

Samoas

We have guests for a BBQ arriving any moment and what am I doing? I am hiding my Girl Scout cookies like they are the Holy Grail. I always get Tagalongs thinking they are the PB sandwich ones, but they are not. They are the icky ones with a smudge of PB within a crumbly cookie covered in a thin chocolate. I wonder if I can find someone who would be up for a trade on Craig's List.

In other news, much to my dismay, A Midsummer Night's Dream at the Lincoln Center was a bore. At intermission I contemplated sneaking outside to see the fool drowning himself in the giant fishbowl. I appreciate amazing dancers a touch above the average person and believe me there was superb talent. I blame the choreography. Puck was slightly entertaining, but not laugh-out-loud comedy as others in the audience clearly felt. The energy of the children and their creative costumes were a delight. I acknowledge it was not a date night at a comedy club, but it also was not Swan Lake or Giselle. I had to stop and look around and ask myself if this is the right time in my life to be attending a ballet. Was I deserving of it? We were on the ground floor and as I scanned the room I saw very few people who did not have a hearing aid, a walking cane, orthopedic shoes, blue hair, or Chanel No. 5 oozing from their pores. I still long for a good rock concert and they are much more cost effective in comparison.

I also acknowledge I am not nearly as cultured as my neighbors in isles above and below me and have never picked up a Shakespeare play. I am guessing this has much to do with my misguided critique.