9.12.2006

psychocandy

In my most recent job before having my baby, I was mostly sad to leave because I had the ideal boss. He was the only true mentor I ever had in the HR industry. He was cool, intelligent, approachable, and genuine. That combination in a boss just doesn't really exist. AND he actually listened to The Jesus and Mary Chain. We worked well together and I am sure he is now 12 promotions up.

He gave Christmas gifts to all of us 'staff' and go ahead.....ask me what I got. Wilco CDs. That's right. From my boss.

He even killed a spider for me once that was in my office! I emailed his boss to make sure it would be included in the Teamwork part of his Annual Review.

It was hard to tell him the news I was leaving because I didn't want to disappoint a cool boss I knew I would never have again. I knew he was pulling for me to go places and gave me so many opportunities to grow and learn without judgement.

How do you tell someone 'thanks' and 'goodbye' when they have contributed so much support to the success of your career!? I thought for months about proper gift ideas from stores I knew he shopped at.

A month or so before I left, I was in the Hershey's Store in Times Square. That's when I saw it, the perfect gift! A giant Reese's mug overflowing with mini Reeses Peanut Butter Cups. The only candy he would ever accept from the candy dishes on my desk. It wasn't quite the send-off I was hoping for, but it would do nicely. I would give it to him on my last day.

This huge mug of chocolate stared at me for days from my bedroom dresser waiting to be eaten. BEGGING to be eaten. On day five I gave in and ate my boss's gift. He never got my thank you gift. I ate it all.

***

This is the part where my mom calls to remind me of all the candy I would eat instead of selling for school fundraisers.