7.12.2006

NY Memory

My first real job started in downtown Manhattan. I would leave the building and walk several blocks to get to the subway that would take me home. I would pass the burnt-salt smells of the nut vendors, stinky gutters, steamy potholes, and nutty cab drivers. On the roof top of the cabs there is usually an advertisement of some sort. Concerts, Ballets, Broadway Shows, Restaurants, you name it.

So I kept seeing HELMUT LANG on top of several cabs. Black background with bold white lettering. No other information. Each time I though: Hrm. I didn't know Helmut was still a band. Who liked them that I knew? Someone I know liked them, I just can't think of who....O well. Wait- they were pretty hard core, like, loud guys. They must have made it big on the east coast recently. Wait. Nooooooo. They are touring with KD Lang? That can't be right.

Two months later.

Helmut and KD Lang are STILL on tour? Maybe they have a musical project together and that's what they are promoting (?).

Probably a year later or so.

Oh. I am clearly from somewhere a lot less hip on clothing. Helmut Lang is an urban fashion designer featured in a fashion magazine I read while getting my nails done. HUGE in New York. Boy am I glad I didn't tell anyone I thought it was a concert.