7.14.2006

locs

While I have never been great at coordinating outfits, there are items that require careful, specific selection. One is sunglasses. You definitely must go without as opposed to settling on a pair just because.

In High School I found a pair at a thrift store that were amazing. I would still be wearing them today if I had them- they were that amazing. They were rectangular in shape with thick, plastic framing. The important point to note is they were
orange. The type of orange that doesn't exist on anything else in the whole world. The lenses were so dark you could not see my eyes. They were real glass, I imagine they might have been made in the 60's? Who knows. They rocked. Somehow I found a boy wearing the exact pair at Lollapalooza and we traded. Apparently he found his at a thrift store in France. It was like meeting a pen pal, he was as stoked about his shades as I was! Another worker stole them from my cubbie when I worked at Tower Records. I was crushed.

I took me a year to replace them, but no other sunglasses will ever fill that hole in my heart. The next pair were Arnette (catfish), sort of regtangular with a slight cat-eyes flare at the edges. They were royal purple with mirror action on the front. They were the official sunglasses for the K2 girls snowboarding team, so they discontinued them just as I got a pair. I had them for the honeymoon! They were rendered crooked and useless after a few moves and too little sunshine in my life.

And now I have these babies! Spy brand, Zoe sunglasses. I love them. They are slightly more glam than I wanted going into sunglass shopping mode, but things have changed since the Arnette days. Discovering these made my summer complete. Especially on Jamba Juice Fridays.