7.16.2007

the cake

I just recently wrote about some of my friends. Some of them totally came to my mind this weekend. I have a handful that are so amazing at baking and really plan and execute the most stunning birthday cake plans for their children you will witness in your entire life. They are quite talented, I love their attention to every detail. And I love to eat their cakes.

I also love them for knowing the birthday cake is an afterthought for my parties. The boxed mix and canned frosting work for me, and even that sometimes gets a little ruined.

This weekend, for example, my boxed cake and canned frosting cake melted in the heat of my sunny kitchen. It was like a middle school volcano science project. It was not edible, not to be served. This was not discovered until 30 minutes before the party began at another location. I handled it well, planned to get a grocery store birthday cake along with balloons.
*
With minutes to gather said items, I rush to the bakery counter and find a rather special man approaching. Special as in a little different and awesomely unique and I am totally confident he can help me. I ask him to write Happy Birthday Zane on top of this overly frosted cake. I leave to get the ballooons while he works on the cake. I am satisfied with how much better this cake will look instead of the erupted volcano oozing on my counter at home.

I wait for 20 minutes for a few measly shots of helium. Apparently, Safeway takes flower arrangements quite seriously. So, if someone is in front of you in line with flowers and you are in a hurry, just realize you are going to be very late. I go back for the cake balloonless and talk myself into being okay if balloons aren't going to work out because I need to leave this store before I claw someone's eyes out. It is just all taking way too long.

I get the cake and I stare in amazement and wonder if it's written in Japanese. Upon first glance I cannot identify a single letter.

"It looks nice, doesn't it?" he asks with a proud smile.

I say yes and thank him. I go to retrieve the balloons, staring blankly at this messy script with every step. I don't have time to try again and there is no other bakery man behind the counter. It has to be okay. I smirk at what other people would do, my friends that put more stock into the cake, and they are on my shoulders encouraging me and telling me it's fine. I finally get the balloons, after she pops one, and I am on my way.

The party was awesome, even with one less balloon and a cryptic cake. I find gratitude in the part of me that is okay with imperfection, that B student in me, especially in crunch time.