7.10.2007

3


Heeeeeeeeeeeey. What?! Jim Morrison started out this way!
He'll eventually learn to face his audience, too.
***
I remember the very first drop of blood I ever saw come from his tiny body. He had put his fingers into the cooled baseboard heating panel while I was on the phone with my mother. He did not cry, he just left smears of blood on the yellow wall as he 'cruised' unsteadily along the perimeter of his bedroom. I hung up in a panic and my heart raced as if it was the end of his life. I just never imagined my little flesh and blood was actually going to spill blood. That one drop felt like a tragedy, as if I was an unfit mother. BLOOD! MY SON! HOW?!
Today he turned three. I casually blotted his skinned knee, which he had repeated scabs covering several times this month from tripping over air. There was no panic, there were no tears (from either of us). I didn't hesitate to apply pressure, clean, and bandage as I carried on a conversation with a friend. He wriggled all the while, ready to go out and have fun being a boy. Rough and tumble and occasionally bloody.
Who knew 3 years later it would all be so different, so much more fun?