9.18.2007

When I first moved to my town here in the East Bay I was a little uncertain of how I felt about it. It seemed too pretty, too clean, and too stepford-wives-ish. I wasn't quite sure I fit in or that it would feel much like home any time soon, if ever. It kind of still doesn't.

Don't get me wrong, I adore the amazing weather and the vegetation it allows to beautify the land every direction I look. It's just that everyone is kind of the same. Except one day I noticed an honest-to-goodness dirty punk rocker walking down the street. This made things around these parts a little more interesting. We crossed paths often as he would walk his bull dog (with a studded collar) and I would walk my kid (an actual stud). I had even spotted him at the skate park, which seemed a little odd what with his skin tight black pants and spiked hair.

I wondered, as I often do about strangers, what his story was. He seemed to be in his mid 20's and not employed (?)- at least not during the day. I wondered if he was in a successful band and worked nights. But why would he choose to live in these kind of 'burbs? Another likely scenario I thought of was perhaps he lived with his parents or grandparents until his band takes off. Because, really, what else can a truly obvious punk rocker do for a living? I guess he could work a funky shoe shop that sells creepers.

I totally wish I could stop and interview him. I wish I knew his story so I could tell you about it. How the Punk Rocker Blends in the Burbs is how I would title the article. Every time we pass I always wonder how he felt about that whole Gap skinny pants hype a while back. Did it make you not want to wear yours anymore, punk rock boy?