4.26.2006

indigo or vintage?

As long as I can remember I have always been drawn to shopping in the men's department when looking for a good pair of jeans. Many of the favorites in my history of pants came from thrift stores. I never knew my true size.

I also never felt I was the right shape to fit into girl pants. Funny, I used to run 8+ miles a day in 122 degree weather. I don't think there was a time in my life I could have been more thin. Yet I had a horrible self image, despite my often overly-confident, outgoing surface. I couldn't face the notion of girl pants.

I was a pretty sloppy dresser. Well, I am still a pretty sloppy dresser. Only now I can't really call myself a tom-boy as an excuse cos I am a mom and I own a pink winter coat. I love that coat more than anything else in my uncoordinate wardrobe. If I still had my electric blue etnies I would wear them with the pink coat.

Living in NY forced me to shop in the girls department. Well, getting a real job downtown working with fashionable women is what truly encouraged me to shop in the girls department. I still had no idea what size I was until I started the torture of trying on jeans. Many attempts failed. I gave up in tears many times and eventually grabbed a pair of H&M oversized mens jeans I wore for several years.

I started to develop a love for Banana Republic work clothes. Naturally that led to some feelings towards J. Crew. On a long lunch break I was coaxed into looking at J. Crew girls jeans with a friend and actually tried a pair on. They actually fit! They actually felt good when I sat down and were relatively flattering. This was a genuine first.

I marched up to the checkout counter beaming with joy. I couldn't wait to call everyone I knew! I wanted to ditch the rest of work and walk around town in my new girl jeans! It was like a right of passage.

My stomach dropped when the bill came to triple of what I was expecting. What will I tell the Mister?

Fast forward to last month. I had the same moment of exhilleration at Banana Republic. I used to look forward to the tulips that would bloom each spring. The nice weather, the botanical gardens, the zoo. Now I just can't wait to wear my new pair of girl pants.

A wise friend once told me- a good pair of pants is something to get up for in the morning.
It's like a bright sunny day in the middle of winter.
I like the Christmas Miracle of 2005.

I am going to rock these pant, spring, so watch out!