7.26.2010

First Day

Batman shirt was his first day of school request. I used to hate character shirts until I saw what a nice ice breaker it is for boys and helps him make friends quicker. And it clues the teachers into what he likes. The Star Wars shirts tend to bring in the most commentary.

***

I remember going to the hospital when I was in labor with Sylvia. Mike was driving. He was very excited to meet his daughter. I was filled with fear and anxiety for all that comes before meeting the baby. I remember on that drive hearing his excitement while I was trying to find mine buried deep beneath the knowledge of active labor and delivery ahead of me.

From what I can recall, first grade was nothing like being in labor. However, Zane did tell me his tummy hurt. This year he also said he was nervous and scared- words we wasn't able to form last year in association with the stomach aches. He clutched onto my arm as I said goodbye, he begged me to stay. All morning I was excited for his first day, much like Mike on delivery day as Zane sat stone faced and white. But I also felt stabs of concern for his lack of comfort. I hate being so far away from him for so many hours of the day. But I know he's learning and growing and making friends and figuring out school.

I delivered supplies to my teachers and wanted to give them hugs for taking care of my little boy all day long. I wanted to tell them how grateful I am that they are teachers, taking time away from their own children to teach my son. Getting paid nowhere near enough for the work of the day or even close to the measure of impact they have on the lives of our children.

***

As I was getting ready to take Zane to school, Evan came running out with his rain boots on "I'm ready for school mom!"

New low socks this year, I think the bigger ones we used to use look like leg warmers. Had to pick the shoes his cousin Cannon has! His hero. I told him if he ever felt nervous during the day to look at his shoes and think about playing video games with Cannon and that would make him happy.

***

What will the day be like without brothers fighting?
***
We met the little girl next to him at the dollar store during the summer! She recognized Zane and ended up being in his class this year. Her mom said she talks a lot. It's true. Both at meet the teacher and on the first day she never stopped talking. I love this little girl. I know she is going to be a good helper for Zane. Can you tell he wants to throw up from nerves?