4.05.2009

this piece of mind is keeping


I read this quote from a friend's site this week. I love it.

'Pride is a sin that can readily be seen in others but is rarely admitted in ourselves. Most of us consider pride to be a sin of those on the top, such as the rich and the learned, looking down at the rest of us. (See 2 Ne. 9:42.) There is, however, a far more common ailment among us—and that is pride from the bottom looking up. It is manifest in so many ways, such as faultfinding, gossiping, backbiting, murmuring, living beyond our means, envying, coveting, withholding gratitude and praise that might lift another, and being unforgiving and jealous.

"From "
Ezra Taft Benson, “Beware of Pride,” Ensign, May 1989, 4"

There's no better time for taking in personal character inventory than conference weekend. I like thinking about areas in my life I have improved upon with much effort/ prayer in addition to areas I want to work on with regard to my character. I've been thinking a lot about that this month. And find it most refreshing to work on ignoring that of others' flaws and remember I am accoutnable for knowing about/ working on my own, being a great example to my children, and also ignoring others' impressions of my flaws. My purpose is to live to please my Heavenly Father, not the people of this earth.