7.28.2009

My Thoughts.

The Lunch: So....packing a kid's lunch took a lot more thought than I imagined it would. The idea brings you back to your own childhood memories, so naturally I was so excited to grab the variety pack of chips at Costco. It was the BEST when my mom sent me with Doritos. Which didn't happen often. I remember hating Capri Sun because I always poked the staw all the way through the pouch and it made a big mess and then I had no drink. I don't remember much else. Which means she probably packed healthy things.

It's a mind twist. Because you want to make it fun like you were a kid, but you're the parent now. And you realize it's your job to provide them with the opportunity to be nourished and ready to learn. So I put the variety chips box back and we got some fruit instead. And pretzels. And multi-grain bread. And juice boxes. A friend told me about the idea of packing an ice pouch! I never would have thought of that, but it's AZ and you have more food options this way. Couldn't forget the napkin with mom's note. And ps. I am totally putting a piece of candy in his lunch box every Friday. And maybe even a pony.

The Emotion: The week prior I was sick about him leaving. Mostly because it's been my job for the past 5 years to prepare him for school. And. Well. To be honest, he's not ready the way a typical child is. But I've learned another 5 years at home wouldn't make him any more ready. Or any more typical. I choked on the ways I could have done better, the things about him I know now, but did not know in his earlier years. I worried the teacher might not be patient enough. I worried he would struggle with friends, feel sad, or get angry without the right kind of guidance. Dude, I love him like crazy and I don't offer the perfect patience or proper guidance at times. How is a stranger going to do so and for so many hours of each day?

After meeting the teacher on Friday and exchanging a few emails about the daily plan plus behavior modification strategies in the class I knew he was going to the right place. I knew it was time for him to experience the school system and be part of this uniquely small and trailored class. I knew I could trust this teacher with one of the most important things I will ever let go of. My first born son.

The Club: Elementary school is this experience we have all had and we look back on (mostly) with nostalgia. As a parent, we also remember the kids that hated it and got made fun of. Holy CRAP that sucked to be those kids. Which, really? It's almost unavoidable. We all get made fun of for something (or nothing) at some point in life. Anyway- it's this parenting experience I keep hearing about. So I've officially joined the club. A right of passage. I just entered another dimension of parenthood. And in this process I just welcomed a whole host of new people into our lives. It started with Bob the bus driver. Then the teacher, and her aid. And then there is a whole network of people that are like the category B people. Such as the nurse and Maggie at the front desk I call when he is sick. Those are the sometimes people we won't really deal with much, but could be key to assisting us in a situation that's important to us.

I love teaching Zane to give an energetic hello and goodbye to Bob. Only, I need to let Bob know that my son's pretty impulsive. You see, Bob likes to chat while standing on the middle stair with his back to the steering wheel. And I'm pretty sure if he chats long enough at a stop, Zane's going to drive the bus away. Just like he did that one day with the golf cart.

And you better believe I am the hottest mom on the bus route. What with my bed head forced into a pony, wrinkled skirt pulled out of the hamper OR Mike's long and wide shorts from 1992, perfect circles of dried breastmilk remains on my shirt, curdled milk chunks on my shoulder, morning breath and pink striped socks. I love that my kids are still too young to worry about my appearance!