3.14.2006

Self Portrait Tuesday



...so a Liz walks into a Spa.....

There is no other way to begin talking about my experience going to a spa, I am like a bull in a China shop- as my mother always said. It's true.

Today I got an oxygen facial. I had no idea what this was before today. Mike selected it as part of a package for a Christmas gift for me. Merry March Christmas- I was eager to cash it in!
--
I wait on a old fashioned, floral couch in a little hallway lit only by scented candles on the floor and a plant stand after the massage. Additional beams of light slip through the frame of the middle door. A nice woman gently invites me in. I am offered a cup of tea for a fourth time.

The room is entirely too small for 3 people, she has an assistant. My eyes are stunned by the bright lights as I scooch onto a 'bed'. From there I close my eyes until the end because a)a bright lamp is in my face b)a cloth is over my eyes or c)freezing cold ice rocks are on my eyes.

As they have muffled conversation with unidentifiable accents I think of all the things that could happen in this tiny room. I could be stabbed to death. I could have my eyes gouged out. I am such a vulnerable puddle of water tucked into a blanket on this table. I work at not allowing my relaxed muscles to tense.

There is clanking of little glass bottles being exchanged, I am reminded of Iodine from Chemistry class. My face is cleaned what seems like 12 times with soapy scrub and then a damp, ice cloth cleans it off. Confusion- I thought cold closed pores? O well relax. relax. relax. Then comes drops and drops of vitamin letters that have a purpose I am unaware of. They are roughly worked into the surface of my face and neck. Then more drops. Warm cloth. Cream?

Then starts up the machine.
It's seemingly like the tubing device at the dentist's office that sucks out your spit, only it is blowing out oxygen.
She is pointing it right into my closed eye. For a long time. This is so awkward.

Then it's around my forehead, moving slowly and about one millimeter away from my skin. Then the other eye. Why on the eyes so long? I start to tear. She wipes it off.

Then around my mouth and nose and cheeks.

As they continue around my eyes again they both rave at how the lines are disappearing right before their eyes and how amazing that is! And how great my skin is looking and how plump!

Hmph. I didn't think I had wrinkles to get rid of , what is this that they are doing to me? All I can think about is what my face looked like after I got my 4 wisdom teeth removed. I am going to be so pissed if I look 10 lbs heavier and boy is Mike gonna hear about THIS....great gift babe the gift of fat face. thanks.

They finish and put the ice rocks on my eyes and shock-treatment-ice-cold-washcloth all over my face. Basically wish I had done this (whatever this is) before the massage.

They give me a mirror and tell me they pumped a bunch of vitamins and oxygen into my face and it should be nice and plump like this for 10 days. I guess that's a good thing and the wrinkles are gone.

Can't see myself (or my budget) doing this every 10 days, but it was an enjoyably new experience.