11.08.2005

Talking Dirty

Last week I met up with some friends at the NY Botanical Gardens. Once we spotted the rose gardens we parked the strollers and let the kids roam freely. Zane wandered between pink and red rows of blooming, fragrant roses. He also ran through fresh cut grass and down pebbled paths; stumbling over his new shoes here and there. I winced at the fact that I put him in light colored khaki pants, but only for a moment.

I was in labor with Zane the summer of 2004 for 31 hours. During that time I contracted a fever and the decision was made prior to him entering this world that Zane would need to be monitored in the NICU immediately after birth and for days thereafter. With IV pumping into the littlest arm I have ever seen, routine blood work drawn from his heels and arm, I insisted an additional test be taken. This poor little 5-hour-old baby had to have more blood drawn to determine whether or not he was a carrier of the potentially terminal disease Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA). Fortunately, within two weeks we learned he did not have SMA. Unfortunately, someone special in our family does.

Cure for grass stains: equal parts liquid dishwashing detergent,
water, and vinegar

Cure for SMA: none



---
There are no words to describe the gratitude that came with his first grass stains on his trousers.